Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
No events to show.

Late goals seal 3-1 victory over #20 W&L

Abby Scully  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Abby Scully | Photo by Jace Delgado

LEXINGTON, Va. – Denison field hockey finished up their weekend trip through Virginia on Sunday afternoon with a 3-1 win over #20 Washington & Lee University at W&L's turf field in Lexington, Va.

Avenging last year's double-overtime loss at W&L in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, the Big Red wasted little in scoring right out of the gates on the Generals. At 2:46 into the match, junior Charlotte Happel sent a pass toward the center of the cage to sophomore Charlotte Godfrey. Godfrey completed the return to Happel, who punched it in from the right side to give Denison an early 1-0 lead.

Despite the Big Red outshooting the Generals 18-3 for the day and 7-1 in the first half, the match stayed locked at 1-0 heading to intermission.

Opening the second half with five consecutive penalty corners from Ali Gakenheimer and AC Veith, DU was unable to capitalize as Washington & Lee answered with a match-tying goal at 56:41 when Lauren Paolano shot from the center of the shooting circle through Denison's goalie Teya Adams.

Tied at 1-1 in the 64th minute, DU reeled off three shots in a row before Veith connected with sophomore Abby Scully off a penalty corner who landed a shot from the top of the circle into the left side of the cage, giving Denison back the lead at 2-1.

Less than five minutes later, Veith turned to the scoring side of action when sophomore Michelle Kabaira found Veith on the left of the cage for her first collegiate goal. The 3-1 advantage was too much for W&L to recover from as the Big Red improved to 3-1 on the season, which is their best start through four contests since 2013 when they started 4-0.

Happel led the match with five shots on goal, while senior Lucy Pearsall tallied four of Denison's 18 total shots.

In the cage, Adams played a full 70 minutes of action for the Big Red and recorded one save, while the Generals' Ariyel Yavalar finished with 10 saves in 70 minutes of work.

Denison will continue their five-match road trip on Thursday, September 13 when they travel to Oberlin for a 5 p.m. start before heading to Wooster on Saturday, September 15 at 12 p.m.