Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
No Event
No Event
No Event
No Event
Wed Nov 13
2 Denison
1 at Rochester (N.Y.)
in Rochester, N.Y. - NCAA Tournament First Round
Sat Nov 16
0 Denison
3 vs. Tufts
@ Baltimore, MD in Baltimore, Md. - NCAA Tournament Second Round
View Full Schedule

Denison's NCAC winning streak snapped by Kenyon

Abby Scully  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Abby Scully | Photo by Jace Delgado

GRANVILLE, Ohio--  Denison's 26-match North Coast Athletic Conference winning streak came to an end at the hands of Kenyon College.  The Ladies broke a 1-1 tie in the 50th minute of play when Sarah Metmaier scored off a pass from Olivia O'Connell. That was enough to propel Kenyon to a 2-1 win over the Big Red.

Denison's last NCAC defeat came at the hands of the College of Wooster on September 13, 2017.  They hadn't suffered a conference loss at home since Oct. 23, 2016.

Kenyon took a 1-0 lead just 3:30 into the contest off a penalty corner attempt.  Isabella Menguzzi inserted the corner that was received by Hannah Sklar at the top of the circle. Her shot was saved by Denison's Teya Adams but Menguzzi was there to poke in the rebound off the pads of Adams.

Denison came right back and tied the match at 1-1 less than a minute later.  The Big Red went right down the field and drew a penalty corner that was inserted by AC VeithCharlotte Godfrey's scoring attempt was blocked by a Kenyon defender but Meg Baylis was there to convert her second goal of the season.

With five minutes left in the second quarter, it looked as if the Big Red were going to take a 2-1 lead. After a penalty corner insert by Veith, Godfrey took a shot from five yards in front of the cage. Her shot found the back of the net, but it was waived off by the official because of an illegal hit on the shaft of her stick.

The score remained tied at 1-1 through the third quarter despite the Big Red outshooting the Ladies, 3-0 in the period.

In the fourth, Kenyon went on the offensive, controlling possession and out-shooting DU, 3-0.  The game-winner developed quickly as O'Connell threaded a pass into the circle where Metzmaier sent a one-timer past Adams.

That was the final shot attempted in the match.  Denison held an 11-7 advantage in shots and a 6-5 lead in penalty corners.  Kenyon goalie Payton Dean finished with five saves and improved to 7-0 in goal for the Ladies.  Adams posted two saves for the Big Red.

Denison will have to wait 11 days to bounce back. Their next opponent is Wooster on Saturday, Oct. 12 at 11 a.m. in Granville.