Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
No events to show.

Men’s soccer plays to scoreless draw with #13 Capital

Stuart Windell  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Stuart Windell | Photo by Jace Delgado

BEXLEY, Ohio – Denison men's soccer traveled to Bexley, Ohio on Wednesday evening and played to a 0-0 scoreless draw with 13th ranked Capital University at Bernlohr Stadium.

In a match that saw 29 combined fouls and two yellow cards, the Crusaders held a slight 12-9 shot advantage over the Big Red throughout the night, but Denison's goalie Dylan Brown saved all five Capital shots on goal through 110 minutes of action to keep CU off the board.

During the first half of play, the Big Red outshot the Crusaders 3-1 through the first 34 minutes, which included shots over the top from Stuart Windell and freshman Ethan Miracle. Despite Capital ending the half with three consecutive shots, Brown kept the match scoreless at 41:54 when he made a save on a shot from Cole Moscovic. Both sides entered the second half tied 0-0.

Brown opened the second frame with three-straight saves on shots from Trevor Collins and Greg Knox, but Denison and Capital traded shots for the remainder of the half. Windell attempted the final shot of regulation in the 90th minute, but a save from CU's Kyle Morais sent the match to extra time.

In overtime, the Crusaders outshot DU 3-1, but a save from Brown in the 109th minute kept the match scoreless through 20 minutes of extra time to result in Denison's first draw of the season. The Big Red moved to 3-1-1 on the year while Capital sits at 3-0-1 in 2019.

Denison was led by Windell with three total shots on the night, including one shot on goal. Leo Herard finished with two shots and Miracle, Matt Rush, Dan Milhollen, and Lorenz Hoover each tallied one shot attempt.

Capital received two shots each from Collins, Knox, Brandon Woo, and Sam Spirk. Collins led both sides with two shots on target.

Brown earned his second clean sheet of the season following a five-save effort in 110 minutes of action. Morais tallied one save in a full 110 minutes played.

The Big Red return home on Saturday, Sept. 14 when they play host to the fourth-ranked Blue Streaks of John Carroll University at Barclay-Thomsen Field. Kick-off begins at 7 p.m.